Saturday, May 12, 2012

...And now a message from our sponsors

A break from the strict travelogue to bring you some of my favorite 'signs of India'...


I'm sure that there's nothing really funny about the word Laddoo in Hindi...but something about these balls of dried fruit, nuts and sugar just made me giggle.

Walk like an Indian?

Don't follow the diversion angrily...they really regret the inconvenience.

Phrases you don't often see in print in the US - part 1

Phrases you don't often see in print in the US - part 2

It isn't any ordinary bridge...

Okay - so this isn't funny.  But I did really appreciate that they included the latin, you know, for the plant nerds.

A Silence Zone is a funny idea.  Making a beautiful, concrete relief sign on the retaining wall seems like overkill.  The small sign above it that says '10 minutes to Earth' just adds a bit of mystery...

Phrases you don't often see in print in the US - Part 3

Okay, so it's a repeat.  But how often do you see this kind of artistry on a warning sign on the back of a semi?

Now THAT's high tech fire suppression!

In case you were wondering where it's all gone...

A good idea, considering... Do you suppose that some people fail to heed this?

A serious sign addressing a serious problem - but not one you'd see beside a US highway...
Now THAT's what I call efficiency.  The bridge was completed 8 months before they even started!


Just whose 30 minutes do you suppose they mean? 

Should have done this one again in the daylight...but maybe I was intimidated by the Pompous Tea Emporium...

No caption needed!

In the zoo in Darjeeling.  I suppose this is to keep the flow of the traffic going one-way...

Yeah.  Sssssssh!

For such a conservative society, the Indian Madison Avenue has certainly latched onto the 'sex sells' idea...

I found it a bit ironic that this was the sign for the more expensive brand of tea in the US... Maybe they aren't charging enough.

In the Delhi airport.  It's, like, you know, way out there!

I think that Sarah was even better with sign photos than I was... I know that she captured the 'No Urine Here' sign, and a few other gems.  Maybe she'll let me share them here when she's done processing!

2 comments:

Marc said...

Excellent thanks for sharing..where are the cobras? What happened at hot, steamy tea-house? Love the flyover bridge! Saludos

Tiffani said...

$100 says you know which ones made me giggle too!