Monday, April 9, 2012

Over the River, Across the Pond to New Delhi We Will Go

This isn't just my first trip to India - it's my first trans-Atlantic journey.  My Indian visa is the first real 'action' on my passport, not counting the stamp I insisted on getting at the 21km checkpoint in Mexico.  All the annoying customs and international red-tape that I so often hear people complain about was all new and exciting to me.  Ask again after my 10th trip, but so far I think it really isn't any worse than a bad day Christmas shopping to me.

Due to American Airlines paring down their schedule, our non-stop flight from Chicago to the Delhi was cancelled.  This change in schedule left us with a 6 hour layover in the windy city.  Long enough to learn intimately the halls and quirks of 'the world's busiest airport', but not nearly long enough to get a bite of what Chicago is all about.  Maybe next time. 

However, the Eastern European men who ran the chair massage booth between Terminals were actually quite skilled (if pricey).  If you're going to pay that kind of dough for a 25min. Shoulder rub, you want these burly though gentle masseurs who sing along to the 80's R&B CD and know exactly which muscles those airline seats cramp.
Chicago also employed more TSA agents than i ever thought possible.  They were like peanuts in a cheap trailmix, often outnumbering the passengers in the more remote passages.  I tell you, it makes ME feel so much safer (dripping sarcasm is so hard to write on a qwerty phone keyboard).

The planes we rode on for both long legs were the 'new' 777s.  At least, they're new to me.  They're so huge that it's hard to fathom...you just keep walking down the aisles forever.  Someday I want to ride in the class where you get a sort of easy chair come cubicle, with a separate seat just for your feet and a small wall to separate you from your fellow insanely wealthy passengers.  Ironic that those who smell best stay the farthest apart.  I had to be content with my seat in the back in the same row as 10 others and count myself very fortunate to have ab empty next door so I didn't drool on anyone.
London went fast - it really was almost an hour to go from our arrival gate to the new terminal.  It seems that there is some sort of construction going on which has created some colossal inefficiencies.  Being England, however, everyone pretends not to notice.
Somehow its less frustrating to throw away your nearly full $4 bottle of water when the woman telling you to has such a delightful 'Northern' accent.

Alright, so that's about all I can do without major thumb cramping.  Stand by for early reports of Indian hospitality, the joys of the open air markets and important tips for tourists planning on train travel.





A hydroponics garden in the Chicago Airport - food and relaxation all in one.
 
My new travel companion/good luck charm. 

No comments: