Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Update on the Wendy Project...


That would be, my attempt to get the world to "do the Wendy" with me!

My first attempt was at Antelope Canyon in northern Arizona. This was highly successful due to the fact that it is a) a popular tourist attraction and b) sort of a captive audience. I think half of the folks in this shot didn't even speak enough English to know what was going on- but they had a great time anyway! (Maybe they think 'doing the Wendy' is some sort of new yoga move!)


Antelope Canyon - June 2009

My second was less of a smash - due to there being few people to join me in the remote wilderness of Mt. Lemmon. Okay, not so remote, but not a well traveled weekend. I'm pretty sure this guy would have been doing the Wendy if he only had arms, though.



Then I went rappelling at the Practice Wall up on Mt. Lemmon. SO cool! Surviving that was enough to make everyone feel victorious. I particularly like the extra bit of spark the girl on the right gave her pose! There's a girl who's just waiting to find her own signature move...


Mt. Lemmon - Aug. 2009

Occasionally, I get sent photos of other people doing the Wendy on their own, and I STRONGLY encourage this kind of reckless and crazy behavior. Just make sure you're not smacking anyone in the face while trying...


Angela does her Wendy on the AZ Trail! You go, girl!

Shannon and her 'big sis' work together to create a Wendy in Kohler Andre State Park. I LOVE teamwork! They've definitely perfected the way to do it without striking close friends in the face!

Then those who are more direct in they're imitation:

Me at Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, Sept. 2009

And Joe Bartels in Salt Creek, also Grand Canyon Sept. 2009. Gotta give the guy credit - he practicaly invented the term "throw a Wendy"...
(at www.hikearizona.com - my favorite online community!)

I love the idea that not only are people thinking of me when they're in amazing places and having an amazing time - but they're having a GREAT time. The Wendy is about fun, the Wendy is about breaking down convention and social barriers. The Wendy is about getting down and celebrating being alive. I mean, come on, how much more togetherness can we all stand before we puke?


Havasu Falls - Sept. 2009

1 comment:

Shannon F said...

I love this post!! And I do always think of you when I'm hiking... and have started "doing the Wendy" for photos all the time... cuz it's just so much fun! :)